Build Your Intentional Career Brand
Position yourself as a brand that people want to advocate for so that you get noticed, get hired and get ahead
Hello, I'm Briony. I've coached my clients in their careers and businesses since 2017 after leaving my position as a Partner from one of South Africa’s leading mining and natural resources consultancies. The most common thing that my clients tell me is:
"I'm good at my job, I overdeliver on my promises and I'm an asset to those that hire me, yet I feel unappreciated, unseen and overlooked."
In my experience of more than 20 years of working with technical professionals, your employers and clients expect you to be able to do your job and deliver a result. Isn't that why they hired you after all?
So, if being exceptional at technical delivery isn't giving you the recognition, results and reward that you deserve, what's the missing link?
In my experience with hundreds of clients over the last four years, I have realised that my clients don’t market themselves very well. They don't know how to communicate what they're good at, they often don't have a clear sense of who their stakeholders are and what they value, and as a result, they struggle to articulate why they are they're a real asset to their colleagues, clients and bosses.
I can already hear you thinking: "Briony, I don't like to be boastful and I don't like to promote myself. My work should speak for itself."
You're right, of course. In an ideal world, your work should speak for itself, and it should be enough for you to get noticed, get hired and get ahead. However, it's not enough in this very noisy world that we live in. That's only the first part of cracking the code, the second part is cultivating and managing perceptions.
That's where Building Your Intentional Career Brand comes into its own.
Whether you like it or not, you're already a
brand in the eyes of your employer or client …
They've assigned a brand value to you based on
how they experience you.
Leave your brand up to chance and you have no control over your brand value.
Be intentional about it and you have the opportunity to be experienced in a way that positions you as an expert...
that helps you position yourself as the person that people need to know.
It's your job to shape and control the narrative around you and become intentional about positioning yourself in the light you want to be seen.
It's your job to demonstrate how you stand out from the crowd.
I've designed Building Your Intentional Career Brand for technically exceptional people who are hesitant about self-promotion, but can see the value in revealing their brilliance in an unassuming, authentic and real way.
StartBrand elements overview (1:13)
StartTarget audience (1:46)
StartActivity: The conference drinks party
StartBrand promise (4:11)
StartBrand perception (4:08)
StartActivity: Front page headlines
StartBrand values (4:31)
StartActivity: The big brand takeover
StartBrand voice (5:46)
StartBrand positioning (4:20)
This 19-module online course will help you to become an authentic and admired brand in your area of expertise by:
- Cutting through the noise so that you stand out from the crowd
- Showcasing your value and aligning it to the people that you serve
- Enrolling people to your cause who are willing to advocate for you and help build your career and your business
Take your brand from bland to brilliant so that through the relationships and trust that you build as a result of consistently delivering on what you promise, you achieve:
- The recognition you desire
- The position and opportunities that you want
- The social capital that keeps your career and business resilient in a constantly changing world
What You'll Learn
You will learn 6 key components of building an intentional and successful career and entrepreneurial brand.
- How to identify the key stakeholders in your organisation that will advocate for you and champion you
- How to build a brand promise that makes people want to work with you
- How to build a solid reputation so that you a perceived as the go-to person for your particular field of expertise
- How to design a set of brand values that teach people how to engage with you on your terms
- How to develop a positive and consistent brand voice that cuts through all the noise and enrols people to your cause
- How to position your brand so that people want to work with you, advocate for you and champion your cause
You can be the most technically brilliant person in the world, but if people don’t know you exist, or they don’t enjoy the experience of working with you, you will more than likely be overlooked.
So what are you doing to position yourself for your expertise? What are you doing to ensure that people value the experience of working with you? What are you doing to intentionally build and manage your brand?
- Briony Liber
After you complete the exercises and apply them, you will:
- Have a clear understanding of your worth and what value you bring to your organisation and your clients
- Have a well-articulated brand promise and positioning strategy
- Be able to advocate for yourself through a consistent and congruent brand message
- Build a solid reputation that'll propel you to greater heights, both professionally and personally